Our History

The Monticello Chapter was formed in 2006. While one would think it is named after the home of Thomas Jefferson, The founding fathers really named it after a road in Monticello Township. (Monticello meaning small hill.). The town of Monticello was founded on 160 acres on June 19, 1857. In 1858 Monticello elected 18-year-old James Butler Hickok (better known as Wild Bill Hickok) as town constable.

At one time Monticello had a stage stop, stores, saloons, blacksmith, doctor, hotel, general store, schoolhouse, churches, and about 15 dwellings. The 1910 population was about 63. The town was bypassed by the Kansas Midland Railroad (Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe), which instead passed Olathe which caused the town to lose its county seat status. In 1987, Shawnee annexed land south of 55th to 83rd/79th west to the Kansas River, increasing the city size to 42 square miles.